FAQ – New Mileage Rates for 2018
Beginning on Jan. 1, 2018, the standard mileage rates for the use of a car (also vans, pickups or panel trucks) will be:
- 54.5 cents per mile for business miles driven
- 18 cents per mile driven for medical or moving purposes
- 14 cents per mile driven in service of charitable organizations
- Moving expenses for tax years beginning after Dec. 31, 2017, and goes through Jan. 1, 2026. No deduction is allowed for use of an automobile as part of a move using the mileage rate listed in Notice 2018-03.
- Un-reimbursed employee expenses such as uniforms, union dues and the deduction for business-related meals, entertainment and travel. The business standard mileage rate listed in Notice 2018-03, which was issued before the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act passed, cannot be used to claim an itemized deduction for un-reimbursed employee travel expenses in taxable years beginning after Dec. 31, 2017, and before Jan. 1, 2026.
Source: IRS News Release and Notice